Gertrude's Holy Shield
Increases damage absorption as health goes down, with a minimum of +5% damage absorption at full health to 25% at less than 15% health. Also increases dark damage defense by 18.
Gertrude was a strategist, and thus was frequently absent on the battlefield when his troops fought. However, when he did join them, he was notorious for cowering behind a shield.
- It is one of the few items that provide dark defense.
- Gertrude's Holy Shield provides a similar bonus to the Frozen Turtle Shell, although it can be obtained before hardmode.
- Gertrude is a female name which originally derived from Germanic roots that meant "spear" or "strength".
- Even though it is a female name, the shield's tooltip suggests that Gertrude was a man.
- Furthermore, the origin of the name meant either "spear" or "strength", which is strange seeing as Gertrude used a sword in battle and is described as a cowardly fighter hiding behind his shield at all times.